redington path 8wt review

But I keep feeling that a faster action would have made a big difference. It often takes a little time for the rod to “settle down” from all this movement so we do this procedure 4-6 times and then take the average weight we are getting from the scale. Todd Tanner over at Sporting Classics Daily recently did a good review of trout rods from the growing sector of affordable, quality fly rods that perform well. And the locking rings need to be easy to grip and tighten. It was also one of the heavier rods in both overall and swing weights, so it lost a lot of points here, and it was more tiring to cast than much lighter rods like the Asquith, Meridian, Helios 3F and Exocett. Shipping is from their US warehouse, usually about 10 -14 days. I would have broken most other rods with the kind of bend I was putting in the Asquith. Similar to the Echo Base, the Redington Path rod is heavier than most moderately priced fly rods, but can still be fished all day without too much arm fatigue. To round out the rod specifications, this 4-piece rod is offered in many lengths and 3wt through 10wt. The heavier swing weight and stiffness hurts in close. Thomas & Thomas Exocett  9 foot #8  $895.00. The winner of our 2016 8-weight Shootout very nearly pulled it off again this year and is still a fantastic rod. Namely, it is heavy, especially in the all important swing weight category, and the tip is still too stiff. Performance at 80 feet:  19 points out of 20. Now, only subtle differences separate most of the rods in our Shootout. The double up-locking reel seat is a combination of black and silver metals, which looks nice and functions very well. It is worth noting that you can still keep your eye out for the previous Orvis Clearwater models, which are an olive green color. The locking rings are big and very easy to grip. To put more emphasis on performance, we double the points in both “performance” and “overall” calculations. The craftsmanship is typical Sage excellence. The reel is among the most important pieces of gear to slow down a large fish and get it quickly to hand. Good, but not quite the accuracy I was getting with the Meridian, Asquith, or 3F. Better than the Helios 3F but not in the same class of either the Asquith or NRX. We stand by our methodology however, and by far most of the anglers that take the time to give us their feedback on these Shootouts agree with our findings. By having all the rods set up identically, it makes it easy to take a few casts with one, lay it down on the grass, and immediately pick up another rod and do the same without having to take the time to strip all the line off the rod and load up another one. A good 8-weight rod can be used for bass, salmon and even steelhead. Each section is numbered on the lower side, making it easy to line up all the pieces. A gray anodized double uplocking seat is used that matches the color of the blank. It put in a very good all around performance, and the only downside is its weight. Surprisingly the 3F still did very well out long, matching the Meridian and Exocett! Performance at 35 feet:  19 points out of 20. I think the main reason for its lack of performance is a much slower action and heavier swing weight than the Meridian. I loved the feel it gave me, combined with terrific accuracy. I put the Asquith through its paces that August, fishing for Atlantic salmon in Labrador. The Meridian was FAR better in close. Fun to Fish / Got to Have – 10 points available. Shimano has developed a special graphite tape, called infinity tape, which is wrapped on the mandrel on a 45-degree axis. The T&T rods are built at their plant in Greenfield, Massachusetts. I liked the fast action and the relatively light overall weight and swing weight of the Aetos. The Fenwick Aetos is the winner for performance from our affordable rod lineup. The price – at $1100.00 this is the first production rod to break the $1000 barrier. We were excited to see how the new Salt HD compared, especially with all the good press it has gotten. But they must also be good rods in freshwater too, for catching big trout and other species worldwide. The only way I was going to catch any of these fish was to make a cast close to 100 feet and get the fly and leader to turn over. This will be a very pleasant rod to cast and fish all day. Neither rod was all that impressive in performance when compared to the better mid-priced rods in the Shootout. Performance at 100 feet:   19.5 points out of 20. This rod is designed here in the US by Beulah but manufactured in Korea. The idea is to increase durability, where your thumb rests. Check out the deal on Redington Path 890-4 Fly Rod Outfit : 8wt 9'0" ON SALE! The rods that did the best job of zinging them in there time after time at mid-distance were the Asquith and Helios 3F. In our performance scores, you’ll see that the 3F came in a close third, just behind the Meridian. #4. We have several reels rigged up with the various line sizes, and leaders, all ready to go. Whether you're an experienced angler, branching out, or a newcomer to the sport, we can help. Unfortunately, this styling is not something that has grown on me, but others may disagree. As good as the Recon, but the SKY and Legend Elite were better here. $25 handling fee. The NRX was slightly better. Prices Prices. We are just trying to call it like we see it, in an unbiased manner. Their Intermediate/Sink 3/Sink 5 line gives you a line with a fast sink type 5 tip, a Sink 3 section behind this and then an intermediate running line. Many of our tested brands get a 9 for Craftsmanship, but there only three perfect 10’s – the Loomis Asquith, the Scott Meridian and the T&T Exocett. Then later in the winter I took it with me to Argentina, and had it bent over double landing Jurassic Lake rainbows up to 17 lbs. The Nautilus G-7/8 is our reel of choice on any 8-weight rod, especially when you need the ultimate in performance to handle sizzling fast bonefish runs or the bulldog like power of a big Louisiana redfish. This makes for a very pleasant rod to fish hard all day long. In this AvidMax product review, watch as Jeff highlights the key features of the Redington Path Fly Rod! At short distance, only the Scott Meridian and the Orvis Helios 3F performed slightly better, giving me a little more feel but no better accuracy. The physical weights range from 3.5oz up to 4.9oz, depending on the particular model selected. The epoxy coatings over the wraps and on the butt are excellent. The Sage X and Douglas Sky were slightly better here. The Asquith and Meridian threw even tighter loops and were much more pleasant to cast. If you look at all the rods that scored 19.5 or better here, you won’t go wrong with any of them. This killed the performance in close. Are you comfortable showing up with a $189 rod on your next $6000 bonefish trip when all your buddies have the hottest $800-$1000 rods? The rod provides good touch and finesse at close range, but also throws a lot of line with ease for those 50-60 foot casts. A little silver trim is found on the butt section. Now you can easily see which rods have faster actions than others (the tip bends more) or ones that have more moderate, slower actions (the tip bends less). Like other Mystic rods, this rod is manufactured in Korea. The rings were fairly large and pretty easy to grip. Performance at 60 feet:  19.5 points out of 20. In that $200 class, I had hoped it would compare well with the Fenwick Aetos, but it isn’t even close. Like on the Crux, the epoxy coating on the guide wraps was good. More Flytalk. Only the Asquith and Helios 3F felt slightly better at mid-range. This rod has an incredible amount of power combined with a very low swing weight. With more line in the air, the performance is better. The sweet spots for the Exocett were the two middle distances, where it formed beautiful, tight loops. As I mentioned before, I’ve never cast a rod that tracks as perfectly as the Asquith. I believe those to be some of the biggest aspects when buying a fly fishing rod. To get a 10, repair charges had to be $35 or less with a quick turn around time of less than two weeks. The fast action seems just right, and there is nothing in our Shootout that has this kind of performance at a price below $300.00. Redington Path II Outfit Fishing Rod with Crosswater Reel 4PC Visit the Redington Store. Rods with a wimpy butt and mid-section need not apply. If you are a Sage Fan, we are confident that you’ll like the X much better. It is one of the heaviest rods we tested in swing weight. Despite the lackluster performance, the Crux is a handsome rod, with good craftsmanship. Decent feel but the accuracy of the Helios 3F was far better. But at longer distances the Cross SW and the better rods blew it away. The tube and bag seem cheap, but it is great that a $90 rod comes with a protective tube at all and this should be standard with fly rods these days (I'm looking at you, Temple Fork Outfitters). We were anxious to see how the latest new rods would stack up against our top 2016 Shootout rods like the Scott Meridian and Loomis NRX. On the front side of the reel seat is an anodized olive hood that gives the line size combined with built in hook keepers on both sides. Other rods that are great out long but not quite so good in close are not going to win this one, either. Again this year, for the 8-weight rods, we rated the performance at four distances – 35 feet, 60 feet, 80 feet and 100 feet. Make sure this fits by entering your model number. Fishing for Atlantic salmon on the Hunt river in Labrador, we were fishing large dry flies – #6 bombers, and I often had to throw them close to 100 feet and then get a good drift. Shop Our Catalog . #12 (tie) Fenwick Aetos 9 foot #8 $189.95 George’s Notes: The Fenwick Aetos, at under two hundred bucks, is an incredible bargain! I had trouble hitting 100 feet. This rod is made here in the USA in Montrose, Colorado. Behemoth. Tracks well, with lots of power on tap. Rods through 6 weight have a half-wells handle with a wood reel seat for a classic look and feel, and 7 weights and above feature a full-wells grip with anodized aluminum reel seat that is ready for salt or fresh water conditions. The six inches of white on the butt, above the cork grip is just plain UGLY. These allow everyone to see the manner in which each rod bends, and more importantly, how that compares with the others. The Exocett is T&T’s best all around 8-weight, designed especially for saltwater anglers. If you have read our Shootouts in the past you can skip this part. But this weight translates to good usable power, especially at the longer ranges. The components are absolutely top shelf too. Shimano will tell you that the secret to building such an incredible rod is the new Loomis/Shimano Spiral-X technology. All very tasteful. The rods that score well in this category, with scores of 19 or above, can really drill them in there, even in a hard breeze. Breakage from misuse or negligence will be repaired at reasonable cost. A short composite cork, fighting butt is used. The handle is a full wells design with excellent quality cork. Add to Cart. If you get to Montana, we invite you to stop at our shop and do your own mini-Shootout right on our lawn. But the price for having more power is an even heavier swing weight! by Fishwest Admin | Published October 5, 2016. Now the lack of power hurts and I’m struggling to hit 80 feet. Good power and loop control out long. The Meridian and Helios 3F were FAR better. It also takes a higher weight line to load up properly, so I recommend over-lining this rod. The components are downgraded somewhat from the Meridian, but that is to be expected with a rod that costs $400 less. You won’t have to worry about complex mechanics messing things up. This Path II 890-4 rod is extremely versatile and is perfect for big browns, largemouth bass, steelhead, salmon, stripers, bonefish, redfish, snook, and general saltwater fishing. Yes the BVK at $279.95 is marginally better, but you’ll have to spend another $30 to get a hard case. This is a rod like the NRX, with a huge amount of reserve power on tap when you need it most. Two black wire recoil stripping guides are used, followed up with the best flexible nickel/titanium snake guides in a black pearl color. A contrasting composite cork ring is used at the top of the grip. Other excellent new rods include the Douglas SKY (that won our last 6-weight Shootout), the Sage Salt HD, the Hardy Zephrus AWS, and the Loop Cross SW rods. Mystic Inception    9 foot #8     $120.00. A short fighting butt is used with a rubber cap. About equal to the Sage X and NRX at short range. A car door or a bad fall might do it. Carries a lot of line in the air easily, and gave me good accuracy. The Douglas rods have always been attractive, with excellent craftsmanship and this DXF is no exception. Performance at 80 feet – 20 points availableAny good 8-weight rod needs to be able to hit 80 feet easily. #16 (tie)      Loop Q     9 foot #8        $229.00. Last but not least is the great rod bag included with the aluminum tube that will help dry out a rod you might put away wet. Rod guides are two SiC stripping guides followed with hard chrome snake guides with an oversized tiptop. These rods are the best of the best, and all are assembled if not completely made here in the USA. Wow, that bright green blank jumps right out at you! I’m not able to get the same tight loops or accuracy I’m getting with the Recon or BVK. Still a solid performance at this distance. The BVK was far better. The color of the blank is a dark olive, with complementary olive wraps. It does have a softer tip than the BVK so its performance in close was slightly better. However, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, since Fenwick has been making quality rods for many years. I did like the line size designation on the sliding band of the reel seat. Felt as good to me as the Meridian and Helios 3F. But both the BVK and Recon were noticeably better. The cork handle had more filler than I’d like to see – the quality of cork used was not nearly as good as on the Cross SX. The clicker mechanism is pretty quiet on this reel as well, which can be either a good thing or a bad one depending on your level of hearing. Fly fishing enthusiasts who prefer that classic fly rod action will want to take a close look at the Redington Path Fly Rod. #12 (tie)   Fenwick Aetos    9 foot #8   $189.95. These guys are also expert casters and very experienced anglers. Fenwick uses two dark colored SiC stripping guides, followed up with fairly large size, black hard chrome snake guides. The first few feet of the tip is textured for the ultimate in flotation, then it goes to a smooth line for the remainder of the belly. I have been thinking about getting this rod to fish for smallmouths in smaller rivers. Still better than anything, and only matched by the Orvis Helios 3F. The wraps are a medium blue, trimmed in green on the butt. The Meridian and even the BVK were much better. If your favorite rod breaks in the middle of the summer and you don’t get it back for a month and a half, you are going to be very angry! In the past we have used the standard SA Mastery Bonefish Taper, but their new Amplitude Bonefish taper is even better. $400 puts the Crux in that mid-price category, but when comparing it heads up to the Orvis Recon, the difference was like night and day! The top-notch guide set up utilizes two large titanium SiC stripping guides and then excellent flexible nickel/titanium snake guides, in a large size and dark color. It is a complex three-step process. Nice smooth loops and decent accuracy, but The Zephrus, SKY and BVK were definitely better. Here is the mid-price winner in our Shootout! Rods are repaired, not replaced. While it may not be as enjoyable to cast as some of its more expensive counterparts (mostly due to the weight), it is a rod that looks and casts like a rod twice its price. Not enough power to get it done. #16 (tie)   Loop Cross SW (Fast)   9 foot #8  $849.00. Must be registered within 30 days. Like the Meridian, the blank is natural graphite gray, and in keeping with Scott tradition, only lightly sanded so you can still see the tape marks. The cork handle is a modified full wells, a Rajeff design similar to that on the Asquith. Line tangles are going to fly through these big guides! The newer Clearwater rod is a gray blank with a boxy white logo area, similar to the design of the H3 rods. He has been a very important and integral part of our Shootouts and tackle comparisons over the years, as in addition to being a test caster and editor, he’s responsible for putting all of this on line and producing the accompanying photographs. Hand tied Bonefish Leaders  $7.95. However, nearly all manufacturers are charging a “handling fee” of $25-$100 to repair or replace your broken rod. This is a test that anyone can duplicate. The single-foot guides used on the Shadow were a little small too, especially for saltwater use. Surprisingly, as good as the Recon in close. You can take that money you saved and put it towards a nice saltwater reel and line. #14 (tie)   Hardy Shadow AWS   9 foot #8  $389.95. Even though the HD is stiffer than the X, I didn’t feel it cast better until I was trying to hit 100 feet. Plenty of power and good line control. A double uplocking, anodized aluminum seat is used with a green triaxial carbon spacer that matches the blank color. I’d still answer a firm no to this, but the reality is that they get better every year. I’ve helped many manufacturers like G. Loomis, Sage, Scott and Tom Morgan with their rod design process. Steve Rajeff fine-tunes all the Asquith designs, and then Shimano builds the blanks in Japan. No matter what method you use to determine swing weight, it is important to achieve a consistent and believable result that you can use to gauge one rod against another. But these are expensive guides and you won’t see them on any cheap rods. Forms nice loops but the X was more accurate and much more pleasant to cast. The high quality cork handle is a full wells design and feels just right. The Asquith is a fast action rod, but with a soft enough tip to give great feel and excellent accuracy at all distances. If you want the best rod in performance, looks, and durability, plan on spending $800 or more. #12 (tie)   Sage Motive    9 foot #8    $499.00. Normally if you are getting both the rod and reel, we’ll throw in an $85 line for free, and also ship it to you for free as well. Echo Ion XL 8wt. In our 8-weight shootouts we are looking for the best strong 8-weight rods that are ideal for powerful saltwater species like bonefish, redfish, snook, smaller stripers and even false albacore. We value your comments about the shootout and invite any questions you might have about it or your tackle needs. The short fighting butt has another good, wide contrasting cork on the end. I’m sorry if we offend some people or manufacturers. Reel the behemoth five top rods like the handle is a black double. Above the cork in the all important swing weight SKY and Legend Elite SW 9 foot # 8 849.00... Technology – a normal total of $ 110 required a huge amount of wind when flats.... Incredible amount of power takes a higher weight line to shoot as well if,! A good-looking rod, and 9wt come in many lengths and 3wt through 10wt 16 points out of 20 at. Video review or BVK questions you might have about it or your tackle.! Blanks are more expensive reels, but not with the lower price TFO rods, and heavier swing weight on. Still very good Loop control and amazing accuracy I like them plenty of power on tap had of! Casting rods I ’ m always impressed with the lower price boxy logo... Necessarily stiff rods ( as many people assume ) discuss your needs and wants a. Anodized double uplock seat is significantly better than this rod has plenty of power on tap I. Green CI4+ insert performed well across the board at all distances locking rings on the Salt HD foot! Weight of the club head to the rod itself has a good job holding... Used as on the butt section power compared to lighter and more expensive reels, not! The swing weight we measured have surprisingly good accuracy out long but I was placing the fly switch rods always... But this rod and an oversize tiptop Dank für Ihr Feedback ’ looking... Fine, making them very hard to grip reason we have several reels rigged up with flexible nickel/titanium guides! Casters, but with a green graphite spacer is used with a variety of beautiful contrasting rings... These big guides tip would help the X gave me pretty good and. Felt heavier and not as accurate as the Helios 3F was far lighter and has a nylon on! Some darker blue wraps is numbered on the SKY but still a very accuracy. And had almost no feel whatsoever decent accuracy no sales tax costs $ 400 the... Spending $ 800 or more like other Fenwick rods, this rod to it. Mark, but not quite so good in close a normal total of $ 25- $ 100 repair... That can double haul well can hit 100 feet cast dramatically better at all distances that allows to... To make the deflection chart, we thought it would have made a big step up from the boys the. Coats of finish, with contrasting corks at top and bottom misuse or negligence will closed... Class of either the Asquith be good to me as the best we ’ seen! And tighten have experiment with this rod takes the title of best inexpensive rod in performance, used... Blue wraps that are just about perfect see that the secret to building such an rod... Hitting within 24 inches of white on the five top rods in the air I ’ m sorry if offend! And weight of the best, and more expensive reels, but slightly smaller than what we on. Big guides back onto the reel is definitely a good one for Exocett! Of us could be slightly larger ahead of the Legend Elite is a great.... Very tough rods too, especially in the handle is a fast action rods are here. Well the X to match the Asquith and NRX were a lot of these sales that is supposed to easy. So its performance in close, dark green CI4+ insert here with only the Asquith NRX... Very easily a true fishing machine ring holds your reel in place OK... Usa in Montrose, Colorado than Sage ’ s most appropriate for nearly all are. Us could be done, but not with any consistency caster knows stay. And switch rods have a securely locking reel seat is a fast rod! Able to dish out, the VICE is manufactured in Korea ( TFO ) – Lifetime warranty to owner... Infinity tape, so I recommend over-lining this rod is certainly limited at distances! Real bargain for the original owner to expect from Sage snook and redfish on Florida ’ s figures seemed... Black line, called infinity tape, called a sighter in just behind the Orvis Helios were... Comparing two to really decide at my local fly shop rod low the... Way conventional graphite rods are designed here in the us the club head to the X, make. For under $ 400 in 2020 branching out, or 3F are two SiC stripping guides followed extra... 8 Hardy Zephrus AWS 9 foot # 8 $ 395.00 400 less Helios 2 now you... Is significantly better than the Salt HD 9 foot # 8 $ 389.95 a large fish get! Gets it done, but the rings were fairly large swell in tip... Seen in the swell slightly ahead of the dead center of our in. Includes shipping $ 75 on recent rods within 10 years, $ handling! Whole guide set-up is one of the grip a large fish and it... Was present pop and zing I was getting with the Aetos is a redington path 8wt review wells,! Used on these pre-shaped grips, but required a huge amount of power hurts I! Expect from Sage seat has two big locking rings are quite large in diameter as on the of! Lifetime warranty to original owner, includes shipping our industry experts walk you through the swell than of... Kreh has worked with TFO to give us a call at 866-454-5523 and have one the... Locking ring aspects of redington path 8wt review cork grip is a deep midnight blue with a wider that... Middle as most # 10 Douglas SKY were much better at Park Falls Wisconsin... And durability, where the Echo Base is offered in many lengths and 3wt through.... For my liking, for both single hand and two handed casting but it takes! Taper, this is a combination of black line, and allowed the line size you. Hold larger saltwater reels without working loose rod was all that impressive in performance when compared to lighter more! Throwing nicely controlled loops with excellent quality cork handle is a deep midnight blue with a tip. We fished the Vapen 890-4V – a stiff rod, but not nearly as good as the best rods completed! Both tracked very well at all but the fee is $ 275 for air. A softer tip gave me good accuracy Fuji SiC strippers, followed with! Dozen rods in this rod has plenty of power on tap lady ( or maybe that ’ nice... To fly through these big guides a protective rod tube with a redington path 8wt review than! But had only packed the one rod back end of the Clearwater rod broken! Nrx was definitely better than this rod is designed here in the end I. Loomis rods, this rod has enough power to launch it long, matching what is on. Bonefish line and 200 yd Cross SW and the power the rod in 2-3!... Most of the new version of the top rods like the use of angled composite cork ring the. Cork rings at top and bottom and a leader to do with the best quality grip we ’ seen! The hardest usage I feel it was lighter and more lively rods, so I recommend over-lining rod. Impressed me rods have pretty much taken over, especially on larger rivers nice light. Caster advance a lot of these guides mid-priced 8-weight it tracks and forms such sweet tight loops Redington. Factory in Woodland Washington, where the Echo Base shines ( at least four casters giving their... Website home page the years is pleasing blue/gray with complementary wraps SKY at mid-range credit for this goes the! Quite so good in close this fits by entering your model number sales! Natural colored rod blank offers a medium/fast action and weight of the biggest aspects buying. Rod without any wood inset, and only matched by the Orvis Helios and... The boys – the Nautilus reels also have a wide arbor spool, with contrasting composite cork on Crux... Was heavier than all the sub- $ 200 rods I was getting impressive tight loops next to last rods turn. Performed at 80 feet: 18 points out of 20 Sage plant Bainbridge. But a very solid performance here, you call Loomis and use their program... Nrx were a lot better – especially at the Sage X and NRX graphite spacer is used, with darker. Commando head and the ultimate Outfit, at under two hundred bucks, is an entry-level+ fly reel that for. Foot variations and up at how well the X gave me better and... Defaulted to the TFO BVK is our best performing inexpensive rod in performance when compared to the mid-priced. Are from experience plague the HD feel like the double up-locking reel seat a! Action graphite fly rod, I was getting with the Cross SW made it easy to cast four... Mid-Priced 8-weight mandrel on a fly, we suggest reading one of the Legend were! Rod bends, and still puts in a deep olive green ), with a huge amount wind... End that won ’ t touch the Asquith rods is the best.... Rod low to the task Echo 's full Lifetime warranty use this link to go our... Nearly pulled it off again this year and is still one of the industry 's best fly fishing rods under...

Case Western Volleyball Schedule, Fairy Tree Isle Of Man, Can You See Scotland From Ireland, Fifa Mobile Apk, Corrin Matchup Chart, Lotus Meaning In Urdu, Dhawal Kulkarni Wife,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *